Re: [Harp-L] Toots Blues with Les Thompson

Man Bites *Harmonica* is from about 1957-58. Before that his main really good
album is called The Sound, which came out on Columbia in 1954-55. It has some
stuf with just a trio anchored by Ray Bryant on piano, and several more highly
arranged cuts where harmonica melody is backed either by a trombone choir or a
group of clarinets.

While Toots was a member of the George Shearing Quintet as guitarist, he cut
several harmonica features on MGM records, including Body and Soul, Undecided,
Caravan (live and studio takes), and The man I love. Some of these have been
reisued, sometimes on Shearing compilations and some on Toots compilations.

One verything I mention above, Toots the bebopper is to the fore, but always
sparkling and accessible to the non-fanatic.

Winslow
 Winslow Yerxa
Harmonica instructor, The Jazzschool for Music Study and Performance
Resident expert, bluesharmonica.com
Columnist, harmonicasessions.com