Re: [Harp-L] Digitech RP questions

"Bruce K Ritter"wrote:
<IÂve sent you a message privately about my interest in moving up to a RP355,
<but your onlist response prompted some questions I think others may have
<too, so I thought IÂd post this here.

RH: cool.  By the way, I mistakenly told the list in a previous message that the RP255 has XLR outs.  It does not--it's the 350 and 355 that have XLRs.

<I donÂt know much about PAÂs yet, but
<would you have to use two inputs on the PA for the two XLR outputs, or is
<there a method/device to combine them before the PA?

RH: Yes, if you use 2 XLR outputs on the RP, you need two XLR inputs on the PA.  If you're going to combine the outputs before it hits the PA anyway, there's no need to use the XLRs--just use the mono 1/4" output on the RP.  The dual outputs are GREAT for stereo FX in particular--the rotary speaker effect is awesomely realistic in stereo.  But if your PA or amp doesn't do stereo, there's no point in running stereo outs from the RP.

<How would you get the
<Â inch input into a PA that does not have a jack for that or a jack to
<spare?

RH: I've never seen a PA that doesn't have 1/4" inputs on every channel.  If the PA doesn't have a regular input jack to spare, you could run the RP into a 1/4" effects return jack, of which there are usually one or two on a PA, or you could take something else out of the PA to make room for the RP.  Or you could get yourself a keyboard amp--my favorite is the Peavey KB2--and run the RP into that.

<I looked at a DI box today, (at my local music-go-round) and itÂs my
<understanding there is a type that will change the inputs/outputs from  to
<XLR AND from XLR to Â, but they didnÂt have one like that, am I crazy or do
<I just need to keep looking, and is that what you would use?

RH: you do NOT need a DI box unless your cable runs are longer than 50 feet.  If the cable run is longer than 50 feet, then yes, a simple DI box will do the job.  You'd run the mono 1/4" out from the RP to the DI box, then an XLR from the DI box to the PA.  I have no idea why your local music store doesn't have a DI box, but you can certainly get good ones for pretty short money from musiciansfriend.com.  A passive DI box, the least expensive kind, will work fine.  The least expensive make is probably Behringer, and they do the job.

Regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter
Twitter: lightninrick