Re: [Harp-L] 2 draw reed on new MS plates

Something I can add to Rupert's solid advice... There is a quick way to test it
to see if that's what the issue is (it probably is that). You can hold the
reedplate on its ends with your thumb and ring finger of one hand and plink with
the other. Apply just a little pressure with your fingers on the ends of the
reedplate so that the reedplate bends slightly and then plink. If your problem
is a scraping reed, it will plink differently under this pressure and it will
probably just be a dead slap instead of a dead ring. What you do when you bend
that reedplate SLIGHTLY (you don't want to actually put a lasting bend in it,
OK) is make the reedslot narrower and magnify the problem.  If you can't find an
obvious burr, you could try altering the alignment of the reed slightly. If
nothing obvious works, keep in mind that unless there is a burr somewhere, reeds
pretty much always slap the inside of the reedslot on the corners of the reed,
due to the laws of geometry.
When you hold it up to the light, you can apply that pressure on the ends (as
described above) and look it at it. Narrowing the reedslot in that way might
very well make the problem more visible, if it's not under normal conditions.
You can check for misalignment of the reed by running a .002 shim between the
reed and the slot. Using very little pressure, see how far the shim will go
toward the pad before it stops. Do the same thing on the other side. If there is
a difference in how far the shim will go down the reed, then there is an
alignment issue. The reed will need to shift to the side where the shim goes
down furthest toward the rivet pad.

Another thing you can check if all else fails, is take a pair of pliers and
apply pressure to the base of the rivet pad. If it plinks fine, the rivet isn't
holding the reed properly. If it still plinks dead, you're scraping the slot for
sure.

David