From: "MundHarp@xxxxxxx" <MundHarp@xxxxxxx>
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Wed, February 2, 2011 7:25:20 AM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Reading Music

Hello Angus,
I had a long telephone conversation with Larry Adler, on the telephone... I
was going to drive him from his home in London to the National Harmonica
League  Festival, in Ely, UK... it was just a short time before he died... We
chatted  about his book... Well it was more of a magazine style publication
than a book,  that was published some time  before world war two. In it, he
explained  embouchure... And there were some drawings showing tongue
blocking, it also  represented music... In standard notation.
Well, Larry Adler explained that he was not a great sight reader... And
that he himself was essentially a "pucker player". OF COURSE.. He tongue
blocked  for octaves and such..... But in his instruction book he had  simply
explained the percieved "correct way" to play  harmonica...
He also told me he mostly simply "heard the music in his head and  played
it." I guess that meant that he... Mostly... Played by ear... As do  I.

Sincerely,
John "Whiteboy" Walden.
English.
But educated in Ireland,
and just now in the Philippines.

In a message dated 2/2/2011 8:28:54 P.M. Malay Peninsula Standard Ti,