Re: [Harp-L] Bending while tongue blocking?

Learn to bend with a tongue block.

People who tell you to switch are people who can't do it.

But you can if you work at it. So can many other players.

You may have learned to bend by humping up your tongue to create an activation
point, then sliding this forward or back in your mouth to create a larger or
smaller resonant chamber to target lower or higher notes.

Tongue blocked bending can be accomplished in the same way.

The main difference is that you can't move the tip of the tongue, because it's
touching the harmonica. But you don't need the tip of your tongue to bend. And
pointing the airflow up and down has absolutely no effect on bending. It's just
a byproduct.

You can change the size of the resonant chamber in two ways:
-- horizontally
-- vertically

Your ability to move horizontally (forward and back) is constrained by the
position of the tip of your tongue, though you can still do it some.

However, you can drop the height of your tongue, and drop your jaw, to create a
larger or smaller space between your tongue and the roof of your mouth.

Try this:

Play Draw 4 with  tongue block. Then, with the harp in your mouth and your
tongue on the harp, say "Guh." The place where you touch your tongue to the roof
of your mouth is also the place where you'll activate the bend by narrowing the
airflow. Try using this to bend Draw 4 down.

Once you can bend Draw 4, try Draw 3. Much tougher at first. This is where you
need to experiment with your ability to move the K-spot and with dropping your
tongue/jaw.

Winslow
 Winslow Yerxa
Harmonica instructor, The Jazzschool for Music Study and Performance
Resident expert, bluesharmonica.com
Columnist, harmonicasessions.com