[Harp-L] Re: Group Arrangement

An aside here: the great Celtic (and other genres) guitarist John Doyle
played in a trio with Tim O'Brien and Chuck Friesen at Wintergrass a few
years ago. There was no bass in the group but I kept hearing great bass
lines and finally figured out that it was Doyle playing bass and rhythm
guitar on one guitar. I asked Tim about it afterward, and he said he didn't
know the details but that Doyle used a heavier gauge of low E and A strings
to enhance the bass sound. Couldn't find any vids in a quick youtube search,
but it was really impressive.

Bob Loomis
Concord CA USA

Gary Lehmann wrote: "Guitar goes down into the bass register already . . .
The low note on a C diatonic is C4, same as on a 12 hole chromatic. 16 hole
gets you down to C3. Guitar goes down to E2, a minor 6th below. If you drop
that note to a D,
like I do a lot (I have a Hipshot tuner that lets me do it at a moment's
notice), it's D2. Bass guitar is an octave lower, so the four notes are E1,
A1, D2 and G2--and acoustic bass plays the same notes."