Re: [Harp-L] Re: Harp-L Digest, Vol 100, Issue 34

On Dec 18, 2011, at 9:58 AM, Rick Jackofsky wrote:

> Using someone's music without their permission is a crime. It's called theft of intellectual property. Nowadays many people seem to think not in terms of what is right or wrong but in terms of what they can get away with it.

Whoa Nelly. No one in a position to make the decision has suggested SPAH break the law or even bend it. Everyone agrees it is wrong to steal intellectual property. However, it's not that difficult and likely won't be expensive for SPAH to "do it right."

SPAH is classified as a 501(c)(3) non-profit. That means we have an education mission.  It means we don't pay tqxes. It means we can accept donations (hint-hint). It means we can probably negotiate extremely no cost or low cost "rights" deals.

If SPAH were to get in the business of recording performances and seminars at the convention under the Cohen-Bachman administration, we would do it right.

-Bob