RE: [Harp-L] Politics and Blues Harp

RE: I for one don't care music is music.

Some people have deeply held convictions on religious, political and social issues.  When performers offend those members of their audience they should not expect that portion of their audience's further support.  That is America.  The performer gets to choose.  The audience gets to choose.  I heard Jane Fonda's infamous broadcast from Hanoi on shortwave in uniform while deployed at sea.  I never paid to attend another Jane Fonda movie.  Linda Ronstadt was one of my absolute favorite vocalists, particularly her standards albums done with Nelson Riddle.  After her recent "political awakening," I have never bought another LR track and don't play the ones I have.  Can't enjoy them anymore.  I followed a regional bluesman for a long time, loving his music.  Then, I saw him in person and he opened his mouth on political and social issues.  I've never paid another nickel to hear him and wouldn't walk around the block to hear him if he were playing on my neighbor's front porch.  In all of these cases, I could care less what their personal views are or for that matter their personal lifestyle is so long as they don't make an issue of it with me.  But, if the performer chooses to make it a public issue, I exercise my right to choose other entertainers.

Bill Kumpe
Tulsa, OK