Re: [Harp-L] SPAH and clubs

On Dec 14, 2011, at 2:04 PM, Emile Damico wrote:

> I was wondering if there was any outreach to the clubs.
> This seems like the logical place to start to get new
> members and to do educational programs.

You've hit upon one of the purposes cited in the original articles of incorporation for SPAH, "To encourage the promotion and establishment of subsidiary local chapters to preserve and advance the purposes of this organization."

Based on my observations while serving on the board, SPAH leans on local clubs for hosting the convention. That seems to be it. I have not observed any concrete evidence of any other activity.

Having said that, my intuition says the clubs are struggling with the same issues as SPAH--an aging membership and organizational inertia. And they have fewer resources with which to tackle the problem.

Reinvigorating the clubs, strengthening ties between the national organization and the local chapters sound like  good ideas. Thanks Emile. Perhaps we can develop a "How to start up your own chapter" package to help people form new clubs.

Bob