Re: [Harp-L] Gypsy Jazz Harmonica

Why is it 'Gypsy' jazz? Sounds like string jazz to me, like Lang and
Venuti were doing. I don't recall anything like ethnic Gypsy music in
any of Django's recordings.
Anyhow, call it what you like I suppose; great stuff.
RD

>>> David Naiditch <davidnaiditch@xxxxxxxxxxx> 11/12/2011 10:52 >>>
In the 1930s, guitar virtuoso Django Reinhart, together with violinist
Stephane Grappelli, introduced the world to Gypsy jazz.  Gypsy jazz is
typically acoustic music featuring the guitar, but often includes the
violin, bass, and sometimes accordion.  (Gypsy jazz guitars have a
distinctive look, as you will soon discover if you watch the referenced
YouTube videos.)  Gypsy jazz harmonica is rare, but Django recorded four
tunes with the chromatic virtuoso, Larry Adler:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPHc-k_R0_A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViO_DUbAZak

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsVNJkDdurk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Epq8siKTg1c

Django also occasionally played with jazz harmonica player Max
Geldray.

There is renewed interest in Gypsy jazz, and Iâve played the chromatic
harmonica at numerous Gypsy jazz festivals and jams.  I think the
harmonica really sounds good in this musical genre.  Iâll soon be
announcing my new Gypsy jazz CD, featuring my chromatic playing, along
with guitar virtuoso Gonzalo Bergara, 5-string banjo whiz Pat Cloud,
rhythm guitarist Jeffrey Radaich, and bassist Brian Netzley.

Although there are few harmonica players specializing in Gypsy jazz,
many have recorded various Django tunes or have sat in with Gypsy jazz
bands.  Some of these players, together with YouTube links, are listed
below.  If you think Iâve missed important players of this genre, please
let me know.

In 2001, Peter Schmutter played on the âSwing Newsâ CD with the Gypsy
jazz guitarist, Joscho Stephan.  You can hear Schmutter play on two
songs from this CD, Black Orpheus and Body and Soul:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lfcgiayioY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upEFUYHXvAI

Jacob Venndt (who also plays bass, melodica, and sings) is a member of
The Dixieland Gipsyband:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mljsYayu8GE

http://waihekejazzfestival.co.nz/dixieland-gipsyband

In âBastards of Belleville,â Bill Barrett plays Djangoâs Gyspy jazz
classic, Swing Gitane.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXC7MtWdHtw

The great jazz harmonica player, Hermine Deurloo, plays Djangoâs Douce
Ambiance and Anouman:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1O__gByZEEE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ukrm86FdcfY&feature=related

Finn Poulsen is one of the few harmonica players specializing in Gypsy
jazz.  Here are a few of his videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkYBRLXbiWM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHyKrZLJ83M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLDUeC7R_3c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJJQhwLqg6g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cz2uQVeyOjI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4NxLTaoZE4

Doug Tanner of the Gyspy Wranglers plays Djangoâs Nuages:

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/gypsywranglers2

Laurent Maur Suzuki plays really nice harmonica:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0DiHW9pOqE

Babak Safarnezhad does a fine job imitating Larry Adlerâs Gypsy jazz:

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1821318936231

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1823607193436

Although most harmonica players playing Gypsy jazz use a chromatic,
there are some fine diatonic players.  Mariano Massolo, for instance,
uses a diatonic on Minor Swing and JÌATENDRAI:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpF83T7YANo&feature=player_embedded#!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-1o_lhvnQw&feature=related

On his âTime Capsulesâ CD, Howard Levy plays an amazing version of
Djangoâs Nuages, as well as Gypsy jazz versions of Bei Mir Sist Du
Schoen and Oh, Lady Be Good.

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/howardlevy2

Sandy Weltman plays a great diatonic on Douce Ambiance and Blue Drag:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wa2xwk5txnU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnltv1d6Gn0&feature=related

Finally, on their âBack to Backâ CD, Brendan Power (chromatic) & PT
Gazell (half-valved diatonic) do really nice versions of Swing 42 and
Honeysuckle Rose

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/ptgazell3

Hope you enjoy playing and hearing Gypsy jazz harmonica as much as I
do,

David Naiditch

www.davidnaiditch.com