[Harp-L] harp as a foreign language

Da jia hao, (Hello everyone)

HARP AS A FOREIGN LANGUAGE
More literal than rhetorical.

When I listen to my Mandarin language lessons at "street speed" I realize
how subtle the inflections are. I need to hear it more slowly to capture
each little treatment. Yet, all speakers of their native language recognize
all those nuances immediately and accurate.

Similarly, a student will bring me a harp recording and ask "How do they
get that sound?" Sometimes it's equipment; more often it's technique.

STUDY HARP AS YOU WOULD A LANGUAGE
(in the order I thought of them, not necessarily order of importance)

1. Practice daily
2. Be willing to make gross mistakes
3. Listen to the finest examples
4. JAM (speak the language with others)
5. Memorize some of the classics
6. Create some of your own expression
7. Record yourself, and listen to evaluate (Appreciate that you sound so
much better than last year!)

What else would you add to complete the analogy?

(Excuse me, I have to go find a Chinese club in my area.)

Zai jian (Goodbye)

Robert Hale
Learn Harmonica by Webcam
Low Rates, High Success