RE: [Harp-L] Favorite Mic

Richard-
I have heard more than 1 account of MC151s that have come back to life after storing them in a warm (not hot) humid free spot for a month or longer.

Mike-
Do the old fenders have 1 meg inputs? Sorry for such a stupid question. The amps that I use the most are a 1959 champ, '66 princeton and a '66 bassman AB165. I usually use vintage JT30/mc151s. I have several and I know that some are hotter than others when "new" albeit one has lost some response just from lots of use and has been exposed to heat and humidity. With those mics, I always use a vintage switchcraft VC (discontinued part#320 I think). Usually I run to a Boss 7 band eq and a DD2 or echoplex EP2. I am not a tech but know just enough to be dangerous.....Do you know what pot the switchcraft VC has and does the switchcraft VC solve the 1 meg input situation even if the amp does not have 1 meg input(s)?

> The Crystal Balls I have has a low value pot. If yours does (under a meg),
> toss it and install a 10 meg to 30 meg linear taper (NOT audio taper - those
> are for tone controls) pot.

Didn't Tom of Tom's Mics in Dallas build those Crystal Balls mics years ago? I remember when he sold them. One would think he or whomever designed and built the mic would have known about this especially since those were marketed as harp mics unlike the old JT30s that were marketed as radio or dispatch type mics.

Also, I have 2 JT30s where on the back of the element, in raised letters/numbers cast into the aluminum is "MC127" but they both have a sticker that says "MC151". I was told that Astatic/CTI accidently broke the mold for the MC151 so they built the MC151 on the MC127 base plate (for lack of a better term). I was not aware that the MC151s were out of production.

Anyone know where I can find a Shure R7 crystal element? Last time I saw anyone offering these was Greg at blowsmeaway a few months ago and he only had 4 or 5 that got snapped up before I could get one.

Regards,
Buck