[Harp-L] needle files

I find the three square files the most useful. Three-square means a triangle with equal sides. That term "three square" used to throw me off, thats why I defined it. It sounds like an oxymoron, like four wheel tricycle. Ah, but I digress...

I rest my index finger on the top rib of the three square file and that gives me a lot of tactile feedback that makes it easy to control.

I use cheap files for solder, and expensive sharp files for tuning tips of reeds. A 0 cut really sharp high quality file (like a grobet swiss pattern file) will cut a lot if you push on it and a little if you use light pressure.

Nicholson also makes a really rockin tiny 3 square file that is super sharp.

This eliminates the need for a lot of different grades of file, at least for me. I also use a 00 Grobet file for when I want to get rid of a lot of brass fast.

BTW, the higher the number, the finer the file, just like sandpaper....

Richard Sleigh

P.O. Box 23
Boalsburg PA 16827

Join my list & get entertaining emails and special offers- go to  http://rsleigh.com/ on the left hand side, give me your name & email & you're in!