Re: Subject: Re: [Harp-L] soundproofing an interior room - another idea

Carpet, drapery, cane-board, cork and other light, porous material is useful for suppressing sound reflections.  Since it is often visible in sound-controlled rooms, there is a common misconception that it blocks the passage of sound.

If my post has alerted possible buyers that any material lacking mass is likely to be ineffective, then I am content.  Caveat emptor.

Although I would be very surprised to learn that a hydroponic tent makes a dandy sound booth, I can't say for sure that it does not.  Beyond the above generalizations, I am not prepared to argue the effectiveness of any particular materials. My one first-hand experience was practicing guitar in a booth separated from a saxophone by two layers of 3/4" thick cane board. It sounded as if I were in the same booth with the sax.

Thank you for reminding me again that email makes a poor medium for levity.

Vern