Re: Subject: Re: [Harp-L] soundproofing an interior room - another idea

In a message dated 12/4/2011 4:54:05 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
jevern@xxxxxxx writes:

On Dec 4, 2011, at 10:19 AM, _EGS1217@xxxxxxxx (mailto:EGS1217@xxxxxxx)
wrote:

Geez, Vern....how did growing 'weed' come into  this?

I didn't intend it to be taken seriously.  In the immortal  words of
Senator Claghorn "That's  a joke,  Son."

A bit before my time, but wasn't Mr. Delmar's use of that phrase as
Claghorn specifically to express his disdain for Northerners and a direct
refutation of it being in fact, a 'joke'?

My suggestion of this indoor hydroponic 'booth' is specifically because
they really CAN cut down on sound if they're placed  further inside a bigger
room and not up against a wall. As long as  one adds a good thick base inside
(carpeting?), and something on top  (thick  batting, perhaps?), the sound
could even be prevented from  transmitting to the apartment (or room) above
and below. The idea was to use  this as a starting base and with some
ingenuity pad it out enough TO be used  as an improvised sound booth (which run
into the $5,000 and up range  for anything close to this size).

The use of mass to prevent the transmission of sound is a  well-established
acoustic principle.
The following is from _http://www.enoisecontrol.com/Noise_Containment.html_
(http://www.enoisecontrol.com/Noise_Containment.html)

and in your own site is a description of the 'sound curtains' I brought up
earlier:

 _http://www.enoisecontrol.com/sound-curtains.html_
(http://www.enoisecontrol.com/sound-curtains.html)

however these are commercial products and obviously a lot more expensive
than those I referred to. I've been discussing residential products on a far
smaller scale as it relates to harmonica players who live in apartments.
You  might want to look at this company's products instead:

_http://www.gretchken.com/sound_booths.htm_
(http://www.gretchken.com/sound_booths.htm)

those who've ordered them give rave reviews about the sound proof booths
they've bought for mostly in-home, school, or small-scale  commercial
recording.

Since most people can ill afford $5,000+ for in home use however, there are
 ways to buy similar materials to outfit a purchased 'booth'.

Some do-it-yourself methods:

_http://www.ehow.com/how_5463779_sound-proof-room.html_
(http://www.ehow.com/how_5463779_sound-proof-room.html)

Mass, or weight, blocks noise from traveling from one  area to another.
Light, porous, open celled materials are  excellent acoustical absorbers which
turn sound energy into heat  energy.  Thus reducing the sound from being
reflected  back.  Good sound containment uses both of these _materials_
(http://www.enoisecontrol.com/Material.html)  in  conjunction to reduce the sound
levels in an area and block the  noise from  escaping.
Even if augmented by curtains, batting, or other light materials,  the
performance of hydroponic tents  to contain sound will be  disappointing.

Vern

Have you actually done any test of this in order to make this claim? Not
statistics but hands-on use in-house? I've had some success via use of other
materials although I haven't yet tried one of these booths. At this point I
 don't need to as previously mentioned and merely suggested it as a
possibility  for someone in that position to experiment with.

Note that I didn't describe regular fabric curtains or any 'light  weight
materials' per se, but specifically mentioned 'sound-proofing'  curtains:

 _http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/curtains.htm_
(http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/curtains.htm)

and the batting made FOR that purpose since they're something else entirely
 and could relatively easily be attached to the light-weight frame of a
hydroponic 'room'. The idea was for simplicity, ease of dismantling and cost
effectiveness, not to turn it into a far too expensive project. I've been a
do-it-yourselfer since my teens and can imagine all sorts of ways to help
cut  down on or soundproof a rental property.

_http://www.soundprooffoam.com/quiet-batt-insulation.html_
(http://www.soundprooffoam.com/quiet-batt-insulation.html)

_http://www.soundprooffoam.com/hanger-kits.html?page_type=Installation_
(http://www.soundprooffoam.com/hanger-kits.html?page_type=Installation)   Items

_http://www.soundprooffoam.com/econo-barrier.html_
(http://www.soundprooffoam.com/econo-barrier.html)

There are many newer products being made to address this continuing problem
 for those who live in apartments/condos/co-ops. While your theory is
basically  correct (albeit a bit old-fashioned), companies have developed and are
 constantly coming up with newer systems to address this very problem.

_http://www.soundprooffoam.com/econo-barrier.html_
(http://www.soundprooffoam.com/econo-barrier.html)

No need for negativity about newer possibilities and experimentation.

Elizabeth