Re: [Harp-L] Cable Free!

On 08/31/2011 08:01 AM, W B wrote:
FREEDOM is a
wonderful thing to have when closed eyed and wandering the performance
area.

aside from the freedom of not tripping over cables, one very practical advantage is that you can walk around the room and hear what you sound like.

i make it a point when i'm setting up to walk around the place and blow a little.
this accomplishes two things. first, i can check the volume and the sound and
make adjustments as needed. second, and perhaps more importantly, i can
smile at the cute bartender, nod at patrons who look up when they hear me,
talk to the ones who ask me about what i'm playing, and generally announce
my presence and establish rapport with the crowd.

then, when the music starts, they're already primed to hear harp, they know
where/who it's coming from, and (hopefully) they want to hear more.  plus,
it's a confidence boost for me, and gets me psyched to play.

win/win.

--
We make a living from what we get,
but we make a life from what we give.