Re: [Harp-L] Going Solo?

Hi

Nice thread and good discussion.
I do solo shows pretty often, everything from 15 minutes to 2 set concerts. Never done 3 set.

I play diatonic harmonica, chromatic harmonica, bass harmonica, guitar and accordion on my solo shows.
i can get different ensembles inside this
diatonic solo
chromatic solo
bass harp solo
guitar (solo) + rack harp
accordion (solo) + diatonic harp or chromatic harp

The music moves between jazz, folk and blues. Both traditional and original music.
I have ended up on many nice venues, different jazz & folk blues, prize giving events, meetings, muncipality arrangements, schools etc.

Welcome to check my youtube channel, there are some different clips

Harp and accordion
http://youtu.be/_yThTom3V_s

harp and guitar (folkstyle)
http://youtu.be/-Z5DRPXvAdA

harp and guitar (jazz)
http://youtu.be/e-HhLgAxsrI

Solo harmonica
http://youtu.be/EjFEnTTGsyM

And so on.

I dont sing on my perfomances (yet).

I think its very good to have a solo show, one learns a lot and its very funny and challenging.

Cool, lets keep on inspiring each other!

/ Filip Jers

22 aug 2011 kl. 06.27 skrev Mike Fugazzi:

> For you one man band types...anyone able to pull off a three set
> show?  I am getting to the point with work, my booking agent, and more
> importantly my family, that I think I'd be content doing solo shows.
> I've been rehearsing for a year (and have done two sets) with just me,
> my rig, and a looper.  I guess it is sorta Son of Dave meets Otis
> Taylor meets Blues Traveler, lol.
>
> I guess my reservations are in trying to play a full 4 hour gig (up to
> 3 one hour sets).  I've thought about adding a guitar player for about
> half the night.  Any ideas or suggestions?  I think I'd hit up the
> clubs that pay $300 a night for 3-4 piece blues or classic rock
> bands.  I'd be playing about 50% of each and working in originals.
>
> I would be content playing 2-3 shows a month within an hour of home.
> I own a full PA and lights and have a rig that is $150 short of being
> complete (need a stombox rig).  There is a place 5min from my house
> that would let me do 3x45min sets and I think there is another that
> would let me do a number of 2hr shows, but does any non-harp player
> want to listen to three sets of solo stuff?
>
> I was toying with playing to a few backing type tracks, but it would
> be mostly solo harp and then a looped setup similar to what has been
> shared on the list before.  I am extremely confident in my vocals and
> ability to create arrangements.  My big concerns are holding a crowd.
>
> Thanks!

Filip Jers

www.filipjers.com

phone: 0046 768 08 25 50