[Harp-L] iRig + Amplitube

Thanks for the info Erik - I have been thinking about the iRig and
possibly coupling that with the Amplitube app to just use in my practice
room.  Any thoughts or experience in using Amplitube as well?  I am trying
to decide whether to go that app/iPad route for just practice, or to go
the Hunter sounds patch set for digitech (played through a pignose for
practice) but still allowing me to bring the digitech on stage to play,
whereas I don't see myself using the iPad on stage.  So many apps and set
ups to choose from...I want them all.

Regards,

Drew MacFadyen

I subsidize my family income writing apps for the iOS platform, and have
been working on an app for harp players to help train their ears getting
their bends on pitch.  I've learned a good deal about the platforms audio
capabilities.  The devices including the iPad have very good (reasonably
flat) frequency response above about 150 Hz, but they are pretty deaf
below that.  Anything below D2 or so will be pretty attenuated, so your
bass player and drummer probably won't be wowed by the results.  It
doesn't matter what app you use, the limitation is in the hardware (the
first gen.
iPhone didn't have this limitation).

Given the above noted limitation, there are a lot of apps that will do the
job. I particularly like the free versions of "Audio Memos SE", "Omega
Recorder" (the word Omega is really the symbol, but gmail's web interface
won't let me enter it in my reply), and "iRig Recorder" (you don't need to
buy the iRig microphone to use the app, it'll work with the built-in or an
external plugged in).  To get the most out of the free version of the iRig
Recorder app, you need to register and give them an email addy.  The
downside of iRig Recorder, is that it's an iPhone/iPad touch app, so it
doesn't take advantage of the full screen on the iPad, but it is a pretty
nice recorder, it does editing as well, but I find the editing function to
be pretty kludgy (no undo), so I do editing on my laptop (it exports .m4a
files, or .wav for an upgrade fee).  If you decide you like the iRig
Recorder app, before upgrading in app to get add on features, consider
getting the full paid version, it gives you all the features at less cost
than the individual upgrades.

Hop on the App Store, and do a search for 'audio record', 'voice record',
or 'voice memo', there are a lot of apps with the capabilities you seek.
Try out the freebies to find the features you want.  Some of the freebies
will limit the time of each recording, so read the descriptions before you
play the perfect practice session only to find that the app you're using
only captured the first 15 mins.

FWIW, although I write iOS apps for a living, I have no fiduciary or
monetary interests in any of the above listed apps.

Erik