[Harp-L] At the somewhat end of the day... Video Content vs. Flash and an apology

So after doing some thinking, I say this:

Roger Gonzales never mentioned me in his original post.  I lashed out
at him without him discussing me at all, so clearly there is a part of
me that believes my work is an example of what some might think of as
having low production values.

First off, I publicly apologize for lashing out at Roger.  He has
always been a good guy with me in the past.  I also apologize for
calling him dude.  That is disrespectful.  It was 6:30am after a night
of taking care of a 1 year old baby who often will not sleep.  No
excuse, but there is some context.

Roger, please forgive me and I hope we can continue our friendship.
Every now and then I am a defensive aggressive jerk, but I really
intend to be an even keeled nice person.

What I have not yet revealed is why I am doing the Youtube Videos at
all.  About four years ago, I hired a pro videographer, and we had the
sets and the lights and the pro backup musicians and I SHAVED and put
on a real shirt, etc.  We shot for many days for an estimated 3 hour
DVD on theory for the harp.  I spent hundreds of hours editing because
of course, he knew nothing about the storyline.

Then he crapped out on me.  Or to be straight, I fired him because he
did some things I REALLY did not like.

Then I hired videographer number two. Same process.  Then he moved to
another city and strung me along with weekly emails and no progress.
I finally had to let him and the hundreds of hours go.

I decided to do Youtube because I could do it myself.  I decided
content was way more important than production values.  I have done
some things to up the production values but have spent no more than
$200 on them.

Now, the youtube process is extremely slow.  I have to find about and
hour and a half to do one video.  That time is hard to find and during
that time I do not get to practice music.  Each video is about 10 to
15 minutes long and I maybe do one per week at the maximum.  That
means some lesson plans take around 6 weeks to complete.  Think of it
as the music theory soap opera.  Tune in next time to find out if
Michael Rubin will actual play the G major scale in its entirety!

Anyway, I am having fun doing it and I am thinking about getting a new
backdrop but finding time and money and impetus to make a move and do
something is an issue.

Finally, my basic belief that content is more important than
production values remains firm.
Michael Rubin
Michaelrubinharmonica.com