RE: [Harp-L] Sitting IN

One of my techniques is to wait patiently at the bar, sipping a scotch, listening to the band to determine if THEY are any good, sizing them up to see if they seem friendly, then when they take a break I pull out a harp and start playing. I do not approach them, I let them approach me. Sometimes it works and sometimes not.

A good example of this was at SPAH somewhere around 1998. I was in Saginaw, staying at the Crown Plaza. I was on a business trip and when I checked in and saw that SPAH was holding the meeting there I was on cloud nine. So I went to my room, grabbed some harps an went to the bar. It was Thursday night and people were just arriving.

While sitting at the bar I sized up the situation. I did not recognize anyone and they all seemed a little quiet. So I pulled out a harp and ripped into some Charlie McCoy song and played all the way through. Everyone applauded and started coming up to me asking who I was. When I told them that I was not there for SPAH they refused to believe me.

I met a couple of folks that I had heard of but did not know their faces.

A dude from Harp City (I think) and I cannot recall his name handed me a low D harp and gave it to me and asked if I would play it and give myy feedback. Well, meantime in walks Jimmy Gordon. I noticed that people recognized him and you would have thought God himself had just walked in. Jimmy walked right over to me and started playing his harp necklace. We began a dialog and he said to the bartender "I am buying this guy his drinks, he is my new best friend". We partied well into the night. I will never forget it. Unfortunately I had to leave the next day.

I used this while travelling to places where I did not know anyone. If I am at a place where I know folks, I either get asked to play or not and I never push myself on anyone.
Buck