[Harp-L] Re: Asking to sit in

Many players in this area bring their axe out when they go to see bands. In the mid to late 90's they went so far as to bring their axe and amp in
and set it by the stage. I've even done that since it was the norm for a few years. Once most of us found our way into blues bands it stopped. Back then
there were more blues players out of work then gigging. The blues scene was just starting to explode here and everybody was itching to perform.
They leave them in their car or van now but sit-ins are still pretty common.

Some bands are loosely structured so a sit in won't mess with how they arranged songs.
Others, like the band I'm in rehearse every week to get the material tight. If we do see someone worthy of inviting up
we go outside our set list so everyone plays loose. We've never invited someone to sit in that we didn't know or have
knowledge about but that's just us. Every band is different.

My own personal take is that I leave my harps at home when I go to see a band. That eliminates any desire to sit in.
Unless I've arranged it with the bandleader ahead of time or he said, "Mike, come on out to our gig tonight and bring some harps" they don't come out. That way I don't have to sit in the audience all night waiting to play on the last set. If I feel like leaving early I can. In the 70's when I wasn't that proficient I would be allowed to sit in but it wasn't until the last song. I would have gone home had I known I had to wait that long to play. I wasn't into the band or their music so much as wanting to wank off on stage. Maturity has a way of changing things.

Richard is right in his comment about sit-ins. I go to see the band and usually find sit in's distracting. Sometimes it's my cue to leave the show. Even if the players are friends their styles are usually different otherwise they would be playing together.

The old band I was in hosted a Monday night sit-in at a bar. Some players would come in and patiently sit until their turn but they would not listen in order to gel with
the bands sound. They just stewed in the thought of how they were going to blow everyone away with their over the top chops. One guy was a heavy metal drummer that only knew how to play lead drums. It didn't fit well with the Muddy Waters song we were playing. It was one long drum solo from start to finish.

My advice is if you want to sit in and are granted the privilege to do so, LISTEN TO THE BAND, not the ego in your head while you are sitting in the audience. Then go up and surprise them with how well you can gel with their sound. The better you can gel the longer they will usually let you play.

Michael Easton www.harmonicarepair.com