Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Basic Cleaning

Todd: It might be a combination of the Brasso and the 'long soaking'.
Brasso is just a wee bit too strong (imo). I've long been suggesting MAAS on
this list. Even fjm (after my mentioning it here constantly) found MAAS to be
an  extremely effective harmonica polish. Winslow, too. It's claimed to be
the least  toxic polish on the market as well as the least abrasive, working
equally  well on jewelry, plexiglass, glass, ceramics,acrylics, etc. It's
used by NASA  and suggested for use on motorcycles, Saxophones and other
horns. You can  find it online or possibly from your local CVS, Walgreens', etc.
I also use an  alcohol rinse afterwards which leaves the
reeds/reedplates/covers squeaky clean.  I should specify that I've only ever used the MAAS in
the small tube (paste  polish) since it now comes in several forms.

Here's an example found on Amazon: (I put the huge wrap around url into www
 dot Tinyurl dot com and got this:

_http://tinyurl.com/3hsgcug_ (http://tinyurl.com/3hsgcug)

instead of:

_http://www.amazon.com/Polishing-Creme-For-All-Metals/dp/B002CS3PDC%3FSubscr
iptionId%3DAKIAIMABANEKUVSXHGRQ%26tag%3Dwwwbestpric06-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26
camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3DB002CS3PDC_
(http://www.amazon.com/Polishing-Creme-For-All-Metals/dp/B002CS3PDC?SubscriptionId=AKIAIMAB
ANEKUVSXHGRQ&tag=wwwbestpric06-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&cre
ativeASIN=B002CS3PDC)

(More people might wish to memorize and to make use of tiny url  when the
link is long. It's actually fun and I was first turned on to it  by somebody
here on harp-l.)

When polishing reedplates I've used the merest wisp of MAAS on a cloth
wrapped around the end of a toothpick or orange stick (soft wood) to get into
the nooks and crannies.To clean over the reeds VERY gently wipe them with
the  lightest possible touch with a very soft (and old) toothbrush, using the
alcohol afterwards with minimal pressure. I'm not a pro like Mike  Easton,
this is purely for my own personal harmonicas and mostly for no more  than
one or two at a time. You must also be sure not to catch a bristle in the
slot and if it does happen do not yank it out, but remove carefully  with
tweezers or you'll easily misalign a reed (I've bought an inexpensive  set of
jewelers'long-nose tweezers at Michael's). A good small, skinny LED  light
helps too.

There was a question here about how to clean MB's. The  covers/coverplate
screws can be removed and cleaned with MAAS as well.  Reed plates (in situ)
can be very gently polished using the above method,  realizing you're not
getting the underside of the reedplates which should still  be done at some
point. I use a toothpick dipped into the alcohol to clean  out each mouthpiece
opening, or alternately a makeup swab (looks like a  flattened,tighter
version of a
Q-tip). I've written in before how to soak off all the mascara  from a good
mascara brush (both kinds, curved and straight -in warm  water/dishwashing
liquid), and once thoroughly rinsed and dried they  make perfect mouthpiece
brushes for both dry applications or wet..depending on  your needs. Mostly
dry for a wood comb, or dipped into alcohol to remove  stubborn debris if
immediately followed by a wipe off. I haven't yet had a wood  comb swell or
crack by using alcohol as a cleanser, as long as I haven't allowed  it to soak
in. What's especially neat about using Mascara brushes is the built  in easy
grip handle. They've become my favourite tool. Since most posters  here are
men I should specify that it must be NON-waterproof mascara or the  brushes
won't come completely clean.(Maybelline's brightly coloured pink or  green
handles are a good way to identify which brush is for which  application and
theirs have lasted the longest and work the best for me).

Reiterating, with MAAS a very tiny dab (it's a paste polish)goes very  far
- always err on using less. Brasso is liquid and tends to run. After a  wipe
down with alcohol I've found the odour of MAAS dissipates quickly compared
to other more toxic metal polishes.

There's yet another product I've previously mentioned here as well: Clorox'
 Anywhere Hard Surface Spray. Safe around children and pets and for use on
cutting boards, baby high chair trays, I've alternately used it for my
final  polish wipe down..or as the first spritz on a truly dirty harmonica (the
kind customizers get in and don't want to touch). I've bought what have
been  described as 'new and unplayed' chromatics from EBay only to find them
dirty and  obviously played. Now I wear plastic gloves and will first wipe
down with this  product before opening them up.

My final step is to wipe down any harmonica I've worked on  with  a
slightly water dampened cloth (to remove any last  residue of chemicals) then dry
buff it thoroughly before playing.  Please don't ever be tempted to 'try out'
a harmonica --at a flea market, garage  sale, off EBay, etc. without first
either cleaning it, or putting a tissue  between the mouthpiece and your
mouth. You can still hear if it plays  and can at least then guarantee you
won't inhale an insect. :P

Elizabeth