[Harp-L] Re: Basic cleaning

It's amazing how clean you can get your reed plates by just using liquid dish detergent.

I tried Brasso and other products in the past but I don't like the lingering smell of petro based cleaners.
You have to rinse the parts a long time to remove the scent.

I use colorless, scent free and aloe free detergent.

It's important to use this type otherwise the perfume smell will stay on the reed plates and other parts.
Aloe is hard to clean off and will leave a tacky film the next time the plates become wet with moisture.
This is a big problem when you clean chromatic plates with soap that has aloe in it. It will cause the valves
to stick to the plate whether original or newly placed once they become damp.

I lay the plates on a cutting board over the sink. Then squeeze a good amount of the detergent on the plates.
Rub the soap in with a tooth brush to spread it . Let sit about 3 to 4 minutes then scrub with a tooth brush while rinsing.
This is more then enough to clean the plates. It won't remove stain or patina but it will remove oxide and crud.
You can do the same for plastic combs and cover plates.

Wood combs can be gently scraped to remove crud from inside and around the partitions.

For heavy duty cleaning in restorations I use Naval Jelly brand cleaner.
This stuff is caustic so I wear gloves and goggles and clean the plates outside.
After cleaning I pour baking soda on the plates to neutralize the gel and rinse.
Don't use this indoors or it will eat your plumbing.

Greening on reeds is a big problem and one of the reasons to clean harps whether you are a clean freak or not.

Greening or patina on the reeds will affect the way the reed responds. Over the past 12+ years of repairing harps
I noticed that every time there is greening (or worse yet blackening) of the reeds you are going to end up with
dull sounding tone from those reeds. While the reeds around them might sound bright the green reeds will have a dull muted tone.

I'll let others chime in on tuning. I use expensive professional and custom made gear.
There is cheaper gear that can get the job done.

Mike