Re: [Harp-L] Feedback?

Hey Vern, hope all's well down the 405.

Here's some food for thought since I've built them all over the years.
Several years ago I did a little experiment using the exact same amp, exact
same low Z Dynamic element, exact same low Z 99E556 CM and CR element and
the exact same Hi Z  XFMR  and standing at the exact same spot on the floor.
  Start with the  low Z  mic element and turn up the amp to the point of
feedback  and measure/ listen to the loudness.  Then take that same mic
element and apply the hi Z  XFMR and you'll end up with pretty much the same
output/loudness when feedback starts, but you'll just get there faster with
the hi Z.   I personally like the tonal result from Hi Z better.   I
rebuilt a 12 watt amp with high quality componets that will not feedback
with a low Z mic when the amp is dimed and the tone dimed, so a Low Z mic is
useless with that amp...plates at 140v running 12AX7's.  It can be done.
There are amps out there like this that have much bigger  power such as the
beautiful  MegaTone Amps that really growl with big volume before feedback.

If you own an amp that lets you turn it up with a Hi Z mic then that's the
ultimate.    Some amps are high gain and  made with cheapy parts and do
nothing but feedback, but there are those that will never learn.  This is
where a low Z  dynamic mic works to thicken up the tone and allow you to up
the amp.  Not your ordinary cardiod vocal mic, though.  Some secrets I won't
divulge.

--
steve
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/profile.php?id=100000237341322