Re: [Harp-L] Feedback?

Feedback is something to be "dealt with/handled" by pretty well anyone who plays
through a mic & amp. Tubing down & using a lower output mic are definitely
options (it makes sense to use the techniques found easily at hand), but usually
make the amp feedback at a different point on the volume pot (it chsnges the
tone too, of course, but does not "eliminate" feedback)...the critical thing is
really the tone & volume you get...whether this occurs at "2" on the volume, or
"10". If a lower output mic, or tube subs give you a more useable sweep on the
volume AND a pleasing tone, then all well and good, but if you have an amp that
you can turn fully up (volume against the stop) with tone controls dimed, then
your amp is either broken, or unable to exploit the full potential output...you
are going to hit feedback at some point with a stage powered amp.

Harp players seem irrationally concerned with "getting the volume up
to...(insert desired number)" when really what is relevant is tone & dB at the
speaker. The number painted on the chassis/volume knob is not a measurement of
anything tangible. People often tell me that they can get their volume up to
"8", that's lovely, butt "8" what, decibels, Watts, volts, amps, Maids a
milking? Volume sweep can be easily "tuned" by adding a resistor in parallel
from the volume pot output to ground, doing this changes the sweep, without
significantly affecting other perameters.

I have amps that give it up at "2" or can be turned full up (with sympathetic
tone control settings)...this in itself is not the issue, it's more about taking
the "leap of faith" and trusting your ears regarding tone & useful volume. The
trick is really to exploit these as best you can before feedback sets
in...largely irrespective of pot numbers.