[Harp-L] Performance setup - hearing and feedback

You didn't say what specific amp you have, but here are 3 things that might
help that won't cost a lot:

1) try out different mics. Amp and mic combinations can affect tone and
feedback.  You might need to trade a little tone to hear yourself without
feedback with a loud band.

2) try using an eq pedal between the mic and amp and cut the feedback
frequencies, boosting others as you wish.  I have used the Danelectro Fish
'n Chips 7 band EQ Pedal.(~$30) successfully.  My current favorite is a LR
Baggs Paracoustic DI, that lets you notch frequencies, (I use it with a
somewhat weak Shure 585AV.)  This DI has an effects loop, and has a high z
1/4" out and a low z XLR out that can go to the PA

3) change the amp position relative to where you stand

     a) stand beside the amp so you aren't holding the mic directly in the
hourglass shaped zone of sound that is in front of and behind the speaker.
This will let you turn up the amp more.

     b) use the amp as a monitor, tilting it back right in front of you,
facing at you.  Have the amp mic'd to the PA.  The speaker will be aimed at
the back of the mic, with less chance of feedback. You can hear yourself.
This last one has worked well for me at really loud gigs.

Doug S