Re: [Harp-L] Element Question

Hi Greg

Riccardo probably has the CM but just in case he is on a white CR, and really for my own benefit, what is your take on the difference between white and black label CR?

Dave

From: Greg Heumann <greg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Element Question
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Riccardo Grosso <rick.grosso82@xxxxxxxxx>

Hi, Riccardo

There is a physical difference between CR and CM elements having to do with how the "pin" is secured to the center of the diaphragm. This probably changes the mass and therefore frequency response characteristics. CR's CAN sound different than CM's, with more "meat" in their breakup. HOWEVER these elements vary tremendously. In my experience: About 1 in every 10 CR's is really special, another 7 are very, very good and 2 will be sub-par. With CM's, about 1 in 50 will be exceptional, 42 will fall around average (which is still quite good compared to more modern elements) and the other 7 will be well below average.

I just installed a CM recently that is amazingly good - you would be hard pressed to hear a difference between it and an average CR. Your odds are better with CR of course, but even people like me who collect elements for service and resale can't give everyone that top 1 element. I don't sell the below average ones - I eat the cost. The only way you're going to get one of those elements is with a lot of luck, or buying a lot of elements and comparing them all.

Cheers

/Greg

http://www.blowsmeaway.com
http://www.bluestateband.net