[Harp-L] Re: Diatonic/chromatic

This discussion and related threads seems a bit fixated on three approaches:
standard Solo-tuned chromatic, overblow Richter diatonic, half-valved
Richter diatonic. As people have pointed out, all have their drawbacks: the
diatonics have problems with getting correct intonation, the chromatic lacks
the appealing bluesy tone of the diatonic.

There are other approaches to consider. I think the half-valved chromatic in
alternate tunings is a great way to blend the strengths of the two
instruments. It can sound very soulful whilst retaining full chromatic
ability with button notes and bends. Check out these short blues/jazz clips,
all played on half-valved chromatics in my own tunings:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttI-x4IXRT0

Further approaches? The Diminished-tuned diatonic is fully chromatic with
easy half-step bends alone. The Diminished half-valved chromatic is an
amazingly flexible instrument, with interactive-reed bends on ALL notes, and
lots of enharmonicas. What about the XB-40, retuned so the bends give only
the missing half-steps? That will aid intonation issues and give full
bending ability.

Brendan Power
WEBSITE: http://www.brendan-power.com
YOUTUBE: http://www.youtube.com/BrendanPowerMusic