Re: [Harp-L] Diatonic/chromatic

On Apr 26, 2011, at 11:12 AM, Sam Friedman <sammyasher@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Actually... it IS a question of technique. Because if you continue to work on it, you get better. Exactly your point.... the harmonica won't change (past a certain point of tweaking), so it is the individual that can improve.

I don't agree.

The point is that the individual can only get their technique so far before being limited by the physical constraints of the instrument.  No amount of practice can eliminate the differences inherent in how the various notes are physically created.  Minimize the aural effects, but never eliminate (and I think we harmonica players overestimate the degree of minimization).

JR Ross