RE: [Harp-L] Harrison Harmonicas - Give Them A Break!

Gary,

I saw Dave Payne's response. As a harmonica repairer (NOT a customizer at this point),
I have gotten harmonicas that almost made me barf when I took them apart to work
on them. I even (jokingly, of course) asked one fellow if he used his harmonica in
place of eating utensils. As a consequence, the FIRST thing I do is CLEAN THOROUGHLY.
Before getting an ultrasonice cleaner from TurboHarp, I used to soak the reedplates in
denture cleaner until the blue color went away (about 10 minutes). Then I would scrub
gently using a very soft toothbrush. Sometimes it would take a second bath before I
felt it was clean enough to start work. I now use the ultrasonic cleaner, for as many cycles
as it takes to get it clean. I'm experimenting with various cleaners, some commercial and
some homemade (white vinegar, lemon juice, baking soda, etc.).

I wish I had thought of requiring the harmonica to be cleaned by the owner. I just assumed
that was part of the job. I do understand that a small company might not want to take the
time to do something that obviously can be done by the customer before hand. So, IMHO,
that's not being too fussy-for THEM.

I love your stuff on the "Chromatic Harmonica, all the time" list!

Regards,
Crazy Bob