Re: [Harp-L] Diatonic/chromatic

Hi Michelle,

In my case, wanting to learn overblows/overdraws was a big part of what got me to take the harmonica seriously. I was pushing 40, had played for over 20 years, but without much direction or focus. Through the internet, I learned about overblows and about working on harps. I got myself tools and found a local teacher who had mastered overblows to give me a few lessons.

As I developed confidence around technique, I also had to go back to basics and learn repertoire. Along the way I gained more understanding of scales and positions and chords, song structures/forms, rhythm, etc. And many miles to go before I sleep...

As for jazz, Dave Therault's "The Deb" is the sort of thing I would love to be able to do. Maybe I'm getting there, but I'm not worried about it and I have not the pretension to believe that I am in the league of the players who ably take the harmonica in that direction. They are certainly not that numerous, but I'm not sure they are so few in number as you think. :-)

My main thing is blues -- pre-war + chicago -- and folk of all genres. Overblows are not a big part of what I do, but it's handy to be able to play them. And theory helps me to know when I need them.

So I suppose I am in the "because it's there" camp of overblowers -- the challenge got me. But then all good harp playing is a challenge.

By the bye, I sat in on a few tunes at a cooking bluegrass jam last night -- first time I did. Holy smokes what fun! OMG! And a ton of new repertoire before me!

Cheers,

John