Re: [Harp-L] Diatonic/chromatic

I'm trying to word this in a way that conveys my down-home curiosity without casting any judgments or offending in any way, which is not my intention at all. I'm really addressing the overblowers amongst us rather than the half-valvers. The only person I know who claims to be able to play a half-valved diatonic chromatically is PT Gazell and he is in a class pretty much all by himself.

Being a strictly diatonic player I have immense respect for those of us who have embraced the overblow "chromaticity challenge." I personally regard that goal as the Mt. Everest of playing a 10-hole harmonica. I honor those who would give the classic Mallory answer to the question of why they go to extraordinary lengths to climb that "mountain" when they say: "just because it is there." I can appreciate the beauty in just trying to do it. I can likewise appreciate the incentive to belong to the rather exclusive "club" of those who can do it "well."

It's the doing it "well" part that gives rise to some questions in my mind. Loving all things harmonica as I do, I try ~very~ hard to embrace the singular efforts and undeniable courage of the many examples of people posting videos playing the 10-holer in a way that everyone agrees that it was not designed to play. The problem is I have also listened to renderings of the same admittedly difficult pieces on instruments that ~were~ designed to play chromatically. The difference between renderings of some of these uber-complex jazz tunes by a well-played saxophone and even the most ambitious efforts by my diatonic playing friends is not only nearly universally quite apparent but it is, well, a bit humbling. IMO, those diatonic players who can truly pull it off are easily counted on the fingers of one's hand. I don't think any rational person who isn't completely blinded by bias one way or the other would disagree.

So, I can't help but wonder what drives those of us who aspire to climb that Mt. Everest of playing a diatonic harmonica chromatically? If it is the sheer joy of addressing the challenge, then I say "to the fore." If, on the other hand, it is to truly render (render truly?) those kinds of complicated jazz music that most of these players seem to aspire to, then I must honestly ask, why they "handicap" themselves so severely? Why not pick up an instrument that really is suited to chromaticity? Some might say that they prefer the "voicing" and expression of the diatonic harp. But, with all due respect, I would contend that overblows/draws in large measure negate these desirable characteristics of a diatonic harmonica. In the hands of but a few they sound different and aren't bendable to the degree that "normal" bends are.

In my own instance, I aspire to play traditional acoustic music like pre-war blues, bluegrass, ragtime and old-timey music. The diatonic harmonica is well-suited to this kind of music and that is why I chose it. If I was a dyed-in-the-wool jazzhead, I'd probably be playing a trumpet, sax or bass. I guess I'd feel a bit conflicted if the instrument I play weren't designed to play the kinds of music I love and want to play myself.

So maybe some of you overblowers can shed some light for me.

Humbly and respectfully,

Michelle