Re: [Harp-L] Re: Buckeye Cancelled

Joe,

Thanks for the comments. Just cause you didn't see much of below does not in any way diminish that others did see it and that the conventions were sparkling. Perception is in the eye of the beholder and I know you were not happy about a lot of facets during this time frame, even before arriving at the conventions, so it is possible that some of these improved aspects were missed by you if you were focusing on your own issues at the convention.

I won't get into the defensive mode about my point of view, but will put forth the following answers to some of your questions:

There were jams for chromatic players during the day, sometimes running concurrently with the seminars, so there was a lot of opportunity to play for all.

The dances took place after the main Sat night shortened show in, I believe 98, 99, but my memory is not so good for remembering exact years. I brought in a swing band from Ohio for the gig. Bass player and fiddle player of this band were on site the rest of the week to lend support for jams during the day, along with that awesome accordion player from MN - Big Daddy Squeeze.

Blues Night Concerts were not too loud, as I am really on top of this and remember standing with sound crew to make sure. Attendance of "white hairs" at these shows was through the roof, evident if one looks at the videos of these shows. 98 was the best example.

If the conventions offer something unique, people will show up. Not just the old timers who have been supporting all the years, but new folk of all ages who will come for the harmonica instructional stuff as well as for pure entertainment (and dancing) enjoyment.

I know you love being the devil's advocate, but let's not waste "L" band width with agree/disagree over whether items were perceived by one or two folk (or three or 10) as mentioned. Anyone interested in resurrecting dead horses can refer to old postings by searching for "Golden Age of SPAH", etc.

The point was that offering something unique, fresh and new does a lot to regenerate as well as keep attendance levels up there. Same old same old will only attract the same old same old, many of whom are getting same older and same older, even as the diatonic clique ages. Broaden the outlook and look beyond the small "L" community in planning these events.

I would also hate to see these entities die of slow and moldy old age.