Re: [Harp-L] Re: Buckeye Cancelled

I am usually quiet because I am just a (huge) music fan who happens to own a
harp and tries to play it a few times a day.  But as a fan whose closest
friends are major music fans and also as a parent of a youngish child I am
going to chime in.

I can barely tolerate blues.  Actually usually I can't tolerate it.  I am
well over 50 years old.  It is not an age thing.  It is simply a matter of
what I like and what I don't.  I will go see a blues oriented artist on very
rare occasions.  Certainly enjoyed Charlie Musselwhite, Grady Champion,
Sugar Blue.  But I like rock, punk and industrial music.  I like my music
really loud, really mean and in your face.  I always have.  Many artists I
have enjoyed for over 30 years are still producing music and there is a lot
of new music I like.  But very little, if any, with harp.

It is incredibly hard for me to find harmonica players making music that I
actually like.  So to spend my hard earned money on a CD and concert that is
likely to bore me is simply not going to happen.  I have taken my child to
shows since she was 11.  I am not concerned about the venue.  The bouncers
at the biker bars/clubs know her.  I'm with her.  She's safe.  No thanks to
the church and family friendly venues.  We're fine with real venues and she
is always allowed in with me.  She has developed a love of live music and if
we can't find at least two shows to go to every month then we both have
withdrawal.

I share Mike's opinion.  For me, and my child, it is a genre issue.  We live
in a big blues and jazz town, both of which I hate.  So we are definitely
struggling to find enjoyable live entertainment.  We're paying customers who
are very much wanting to enjoy live music several times a month.  We buy the
CD's.  It's just REALLY hard to find harp players who play music we like.

fwiw.....    Shelly

On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 10:00 AM, Mike Fugazzi <mikefugazzi@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> Bottom line is harmonica is often synonymous with blues...blues is
> often generalized as a culture that idealizes the past to the point of
> ignoring the present and future.  Same can be said of some of the
> other traditional genres of music in which harmonica is generally
> applied.  While there are many open minds pushing boundaries
> participating in things like Harp-L, I am not sure that is the norm.

Original message clipped