Re: [Harp-L] Valving vs. Overblowing/Overdrawing

Wow!! I am impressed with the number of valved players out there. With the amount of c*** I take from the overblow players I know, I felt alone. Really nice to know other people that do it. Haven't found any in the Northern California/Southern Oregon area where I live. Sometimes I feel so lonesome I could cry.

For me, the ability to play my favorite instrument as a chromatic instrument has meant the world to me. While I have great respect for the chromatic harmonica and its players, for me that instrument lacks the intimacy of the 10-hole diatonic. I used to play chromatic for jazz where I need all the missing tones and diatonic for blues, etc. for which I mostly don't. Even so, there were times in blues when I wished I could hit one or more of the "missing" notes.

Now I am a lazy person. I believe that the path of least effort is to get really good playing ONE kind of harmonica (mostly) and using ONE position (mostly). That's what I do (mostly), and it is the valving and overbending that makes that possible.

BTW, I again disagree with Michael Rubin (a totally neat guy) on this one subject: the tone produced on a valved harp depends on the player. If one finds it disagreeable, one should find another player, not condemn the practice.

If after all this, anyone is interested in a little more technical information, read on...

Two-reed bends
-----------------
The normal bend one does in blues involves getting the tones that are between the natural pitches of the two reeds in a single hole. That, by the way, is why you blow bend 7 - 10, but not draw bend them. For this type of bend, slo-mo movies suggest that both reeds are sounding when you are bending. I have a theory that this makes two-reed bends easier to control, at least for me.

Unfortunately, there are five places on the 10-hole diatonic where there is a whole tone between the higher note of one hole and the lower note of the next hole. The tone in between the two cannot be played using a two-reed bend. So...

Single-reed bends
-------------------
Overblows and valve-assisted bends designed to get to these five missing tones are both examples of single-reed bends. When you go to hit one of these notes, the other reed is disabled and does not participate.

For an overblow, you blow so as to kill the blow reed and cause the draw reed to sound while it is pushed away from the slot rather than into it. This produces a tone that is 1/2 tone above the natural pitch of the higher reed.

For a valved bend, you push the valve onto the slot of the higher-pitched reed so as to stop air from reaching it. Without the interference of the other reed, it is then possible to bend the lower pitched reed at least 1/2 tone below the natural pitch of the lower reed.

So there are simple patterns for both overblows and valving. For overblows, it's 1/2 tone ABOVE the natural tone of the HIGHER-pitched reed. For valves, it's 1/2 tone BELOW the natural tone of the LOWER-pitched reed.

You can see, by the way, that valving and overblowing are incompatible. If you valve a hole, you cannot possibly cause the higher reed to sound at all, whereas in overblowing, that is the reed that is making the sound.
Each technique has its advantages and disadvantages, so I am glad that both are in my bag of tricks. But overall, I find the flexibility of valving greater and the logic more similar to regular bends (laziness again.)

I find it easier to get a precise, clean tone with an overblow. The tone "pops" when you hit it. Also, it is easy to do a clean trill between the natural tone of the reed and its overblow tone, a nice effect at times.

With a valved harp, I can smear between the valved tone and the natural tone of the lower-pitched reed, just like a regular bend. Also, it is possible to do a valved bend of more than a half tone, producing an interesting effect as well. It may be a lack of talent, but I can't do either of those two things with an overblow.

shalom pesach,

-LM