The fee covers paying for a staff to work the tables and bar and some toward utility use such as electric, water and sewage.

We've considered the idea to either use the place to promote a new cd or hold it on a festive drinking holiday such as St. Paddy's Day or Cinco de Mayo.

Other then that we never play for free unless it's a benefit concert. We've played a lot of benefits our first year just to tighten up our sound.

On Apr 18, 2011, at 11:55 AM, harp-l-request@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Message: 6
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 10:12:50 -0500
From: Buck Worley <boogalloo@xxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Harp-L] Stop pay to play (Was Why Blues Jams are
	Important)
To: <rick.dempster@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <3n037@xxxxxxxxxxx>,
	<harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>

I can think of one exception for paying to play: Doing a "Showcase" to present a band or artist. Rent a hall or, sometimes do it in a well known club for no pay and invite music industry people. I have done this as a band and I have done it as a side man. In the later case, the sidemen get paid. The presenting artist is usually going for a record deal. Usually the sideman gig pays very good.
BW

Michael Easton
www.harmonicarepair.com