[Harp-L] Re: Harp-L Digest, Vol 92, Issue 37

Elizabeth Hess wrote:
<Why does overblowing/overdrawing seem so much more prevalent?
<Are there cons to valving that I don't know about?  Is it "cheating" to use
<the easier technique for getting those notes?

There is no such thing as "cheating" when it comes to playing a musical instrument.  What matters is what comes out, not what goes in, because that's what the audience hears.

Of course people who want to make it hard on themselves are welcome to do so, but the audience will certainly never know, or care, that you did it the hard way.  So my advice is that if there's a way to make something easier to play, use it. And get on with making music.

Regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter
Twitter: lightninrick