Re: [Harp-L] Stop pay to play (Was Why Blues Jams are Important)

I played professionally (with harmonica only as an occasional instrument,
like two tunes a night) for almost 20 years and would often do a free
concert for a good cause, and a lot of other bands would join in and
everybody would have a great time. No problem, happy to do it. Never paid to
play, that would be stupid. Now, I have a day job and play mostly blues harp
- which to me is another thing all together when it comes to playing out.
Not a lot paying gigs for blues, swamp music where I live. So, we play for
free all the time, almost anywhere we are asked to play. For fun. And it is
a ball, and I couldn't care less about the money. Still wouldn't pay to
play, that would be stupid. But those free gigs at oddball venues like
vintage stores, coffee houses, art walks and so on have started to lead to
paying gigs in clubs. That seems typical around here, bands do a bunch of
freebies, then, after enough people hear them and the word gets out, they
move on to paying gigs, record deals and tours. For me it is about getting
out there and playing the harp through a loud amp for people who dig it. But
like I said, I have a day job - much different from you lucky few who are
paying the mortgage with your harmonica playing.

Pay to play? Are you crazy?