RE: [Harp-L] Valving vs. Overblowing/Overdrawing

I don't know if I can answer your question as I've never really played with
valved harps.
The only thing I can tell you is whatever option you chose, you'll spend
more time in learning how to use these notes correctly than in acquiring the
technique.
Overblows and overdraws don't seem more difficult than usual bends once you
are used to them. Really.
In fact, in my advice, they even seem easier (I think it is easier to play a
nice and precise +6° than a nice and precise -3''' for example).
A beginner trying to bend a note has much more hard time than a good player
trying to play his first overnote.
If I remember well my short experience with valved harmonicas, the sound is
slightly different, which is one thing to be considered also.
So I would say : go for the option you prefer (that may not be the advice
you were waiting for ... :-)).
It doesn't really matter.
If you want to work out the use of these "missing notes", and especially if
you want to be able to play in different keys, your challenge is elsewhere,
and I think in that case the most important is not the technique you've
chosen, but to stick on it, to be able to go farer with it every day.

Not sure that helps :-)

Best regards,

Jerome
www.youtube.com/JersiMuse