RE: [Harp-L] Why Blues Jams are Important

Rick-

Good point and you are right. I guess having a "club" person at the door as well as "our" person was a given. Done it a million times and that is the usual procedure. Thanks for correcting me on this.

However is disagree with the statement you wrote:
             "I suppose you could plant your man somewhere near the door to keep an eye on things, but if he interferes with the doorman's duties he's likely to get bounced."

"My" man is the man taking up the cover charge and I will never trust my money with someone who works for anyone but me. The club's guy can stamp hands, bounce, prevent folks from taking drinks outside or enforce whatever the local laws are or club rules. My man does one and one thing only: Takes care of the band. In cases where the band and club have agreed to split the door, protocol can be agreed upon on the front end so that there is an accountability factor.

Just a side note: I have acted as door man for friends and have actually been shot at twice as well as helped to break up fights and help bounce a few drunks event though I was employed by the band, not the club. Well, in one instance, the band owned the club.

My wife is a attorney's legal assistant and you wouldn't believe the frivolous law suits. One can bring suit against another for anything these days. Those frivolous law suits clog up the courts big time. Of course having two at the door brings some accountability to the thing , too, as well as a good witness in the case of a lawsuit.

Here is the important point that I was trying to make:

Now, when I said "what is wrong with this picture?", what I was going for is the fact that there are many club owners that think they can make up the rules as they go and being the club owner, I suppose they would have that right. I am citing an excerpt from the post you quoted but you omitted the part about the club owner making up all these nebulas rules and scenarios where "in 'this' case you will make more money and in 'that' case you will make more money and if 'this or that happens' you will make more money' and I just started hearing bla, bla bla, bla and starting thinking things like "well, if an asteroid hits the earth, does that mean I make more of less money?" :D

It almost makes me miss the days when I was a member of the American Federation Of Musicians and we got everything in writing. One gig that had a house band where I played for almost a year was a big Union advocate and even furnish a group insurance policy. Never seen that since.

Best Regard,
BW