Re: [Harp-L] Sebastien Charlier on stage videos

It is really 3rd position soloing. Very interesting approach. This is an example of ideas over a 12 bar format in which there are no wrong notes. Force of will puts it across. Charlier really takes it outside and moves ideas/patterns around chromatically as well as approaching the notes as more of a musician using a harmonica rather than letting the harmonica dictate the ideas.

Lots of fun. It doesn't resonate with all harmonica players or audiences, but is great if one is looking for more challenging listening.

Here is another interesting video in which the player transcribes a Chet Baker solo. Chet would take it "outside" at times, but was more firmly rooted in melodic ideas in which the horn was an extension of his vocals. (Listen to recordings of his scat singing to get the idea).

This guy explains what is going on during the solo via text on the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZ1lb5he6ds&feature=related