Re: [Harp-L] Automated harmonica video.

I don't think it's that at all. I don't think the intent here was to show the harmonica in a bad light. From an engineering standpoint, it's a relatively simple (yet interesting) problem to solve. I think that's all they were trying to demonstrate. Here's another example of a robot play Coltrane's solo from "Giant Steps" on a saxophone. The same arguments can be made about this setup. Rather lifeless, but interesting to watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjONQNUU8Fg

Getting the reed moving I'm guessing is the hard part. In that respect, an air-moving rig for harmonica was probably much easier. I thought the optical indexing was a pretty cool solution, myself, and also much simpler than "fingers".

Seth (I'm kindof an engineer, heading back into lurk mode now)