Re: [Harp-L] harmonica playalong tracks

Brothers & Sisters of Harp,

Go here, log on and listen. (Contribute, eh?) http://harmonicaboogie.com/ Select "Backing Tracks"

You can especially use the 'slow down' feature of Windows Media Player or the Amazing Slow Downer program from http://ronimusic.com/ or the free version at -
http://softluv.com/amazing-slow-downer/.

Pick a riff and go over it as many times as you can so that it becomes "Muscle memory". Use YOUTUBE to find programs by Gussow, Ricci, Ronnie Shellist, and anybody else you take a liking to and play your heart out. Remember that it just doesn't come "naturally". Clean playing, single note production and blusifying play come from understanding that a single note is what you make of it as well as how you make the note. ( http://www.angelfire.com/tx/myquill/ , and others.)

See the intro for Rick Estrin - http://www.filmbaby.com/films/3717

Make yourself a 'playlist' of the tunes you like to hear and resources available. Such as:

1. Juke - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiGpv-UeiDI and see how the tab compares. Tab at - http://www.celticguitarmusic.com/juke1.htm (Tbanks to the link at - http://www.coast2coastmusic.com/general/tablature.shtml )

2. If You Want To Get To Heaven by The Ozark Mountain Daredevils - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WZNOaKbYtA&feature=related and the associated help at - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYjxwdVbv6Y

3. "Chugging" tunes. These build up your diaphragm strength. Some of them are - "Mystery Train" by the Paul Butterfirls Blues Band - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_eE0NPArEY (These are just recommendations and not saying that the noted artists are the originators or that these tunes are exclusive to the artists presented. Everybody knows that this was also an Elvis tune - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_eE0NPArEY , a Junior Parker tune - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WK-qJhKY5R0&feature=related as well as others. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V25iA2XPzuA - I Got My Mojo Workin.)Jimi Lee has a great one called "Working Too Hard".

4. Lists of tunes and artists - (Courtesy of David Barrett's Harmonica Masterclass. Thank you David!) http://www.harmonicamasterclass.com/artist_listing.htm Note - The keys of the harps used...Hey, you can get off to a good start or you can search for a long time!

5. Find a local harmonica club like - http://ww.hoottexas.com/ and attend meetings. Or a national club like SPAH, http://www.spah.org/ or National Harmonica League, http://harmonica.co.uk/

6. Get together with other players and jam, work out tunes and learn from one another.

7. Contact the performers themselves' if necessary. You'd be surprised at the responses you get! Don't be a fool in the questions you want answered. You CAN get a lot of help from Harp-L, HarpTalk and other resources BEFORE you have to break down and write to you favorite artist(s).

8. Find a good vendor and a good repair person. Learn the brands and what makes and models are out there.

9. Blues radio, such as - http://knon.org/blues . You can listen five nights a week. There's an iPad app for learning. http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/harmonica/id290205952?mt=8 Cable TV sometimes has selections for Blues and other genres.

10. Instruction DVD's are available all over the place. Mark Hummel, Rick Etrin, Jimi Lee, the late Norton Buffalo, John Sebastian (Through - http://www.homespuntapes.com/Instruments/Harmonica as well as other performers.

11. Harmonica Sessions - http://harmonicasessions.com/

    12. Tabs. http://www.harptabs.com/
                    http://www.harmonica.com/Harmonica_Tabs.html
                    http://www.harmonicalessons.com/tabs.html
                    http://www.harptab.com/
                    http://www.coast2coastmusic.com/general/tablature.shtml
                    http://www.harmonicacountry.com/
                    http://www.volcano.net/~jackmearl/
                    http://download-sheet-music-online.com/harmonica.html
                    http://www.jt30.com/jt30page/instruct1-0.html

And this is as short a list as I could come up with for right now! Diatonic or chromatic there's no end to the instrument or your ability to play.

Support your instrument, the artists and the genre. We may not all become famous but we can have a heck of a nice time while we're playing!

Be Blues...And Jazz,

Suave Blues Man

----- Original Message ----- From: <philharpn@xxxxxxx>