Re: [Harp-L] Beginners instruction materials?

Much of what it available is specific to blues. This is great if blues is what
you want to play. But you may want to play other kinds of music as well, in
which case the blues oriented material may not be helpful.

Also, even the beginner material often moves too quickly for an absolute
beginner. Often teachers are simply unaware of things that they take for
granted, but which pose gigantic challenges to the beginner.

In my book Harmonica For Dummies I work to offer beginning advice that is as
clear as possible and to cover the many problems a beginner can encounter. At
the same time, I offer a basis in music fundamentals and in laying the
fundamentals of powerful, versatile technique that will serve you well no matter
what kind of music you want to play.

Judging by user reviews on Amazon (and by sales) it appears that readers are
finding the book useful:

http://www.amazon.com/Harmonica-Dummies-Winslow-Yerxa/dp/047033729X

I also do lessons by Skype, and in person if you're in the San Francisco Bay
Area.

Winslow

Winslow Yerxa
Harmonica instructor, The Jazzschool for Music Study and Performance
Resident expert, bluesharmonica.com
Columnist, harmonicasessions.com