RE: [Harp-L] "Authentic" pronunciation?

> On Sep 26, 2010, at 1:50 PM, Ken Deifik wrote:
> >
> > What absolutely kills a record for me is to hear a white American
> > band playing well in the first few bars, followed by a white singer
> > who tries to use English like a Black Mississippi man from 1930.
> > I run away screaming, often leaving a Deifik-shaped hole in the
> > drywall.

Smo-Joe responded:
> Gee Ken, I guess you wouldn't like what I used to do with the old
> party band. Imitations. Buster Brown, Tommy Tucker, Ernie K. Doe,
> Brook Benton.
> I think Jason is the only one who has heard me. Oh, and Todd.
>
>    lolol

It doesn't bother me... do the same singers bother you when you hear them before you have seen them?

Have you ever heard the Japanese do blues and country music? They learn their English phonetically and sound pretty spot on cool.

Also, what is with all the British singers that sound American when they sing?

Why should we have a problem with singers that sound "Black" when we
don't really want to hear blues instrumentalists sound "White"?

There is a lot of copying and influence by of a handful of Black blues
harmonica masters right here on Harp-l. Does the same standard not apply
 to singing?

I want to hear Smokey Joe and the Imitations!!! - I hear they have a great harp player with reeds made from old razor blades!

Michael Peloquin

http://www.usaharmonicas.com

http://harpsax.com

http://myspace.com/peloquinharpsax