Re: [Harp-L] Best harmonica tuning to play "tunes and songs"

Don;
        As an 'all round' proposition, I'd say standard Richter system, You start with 1st position (C on  C harp) then 2nd (G on  C) Then, if it's a minor key try 3rd (D on a C) 4th (A on  a C) then 5th (E on a C)
        If none of that works, try 12th (F on  C harp) which is more logical than it may first seem.
        The great thing about harp in standard tuning is you can pick them up just about anywhere.
        I'm not discounting alternate tunings, but in gaining something, you always lose something, and, as far as this simple-minded player is concerned, you never get to be really conversant with one single tuning.
        Best to stick with one tuning and improve you technique to overcome the limitations.
        I play blues, country, old pop/jazz standards and fiddle tunes. If I can't make it sound good on the Richter, I switch to Chromatic, which isn't too different, tuning wise (same as the middle octave on the diatonic.)
Just my opinion.
RD

>>> DONALD GRUNDY <dgrundy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> 26/09/2010 14:51 >>>
Just a beginner question.  I just don't do much with the blues.

Thanks,

Don

"There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a gentleness of
spirit and a pure serenity of mind." Washington Irving