RE: [Harp-L] "Authentic" pronunciation?

Billy James wrote:

 I've known guys that put on an American drawl to their accent and kind of act out 'a blues voice'. It sounds strange and very embarrassingly 'lame' to me.
---Along those same lines, I find white singers [American] who try to sound black embarrassingly lame...there are white blues singers who sound unaffectedly "black" to my ears, but they are few and far between. The spirit of African-American music in general is  honest self-expression; pretending to be what you're not is the antithesis of that spirit. I'm not a great singer, but when I sing I  try to sing as well as I can in my own voice.
WVa Bob