[Harp-L] Re: Powerbender Based Tuning

@Daniel and Gary: "What you have described is an inversion of the Magic Bop
Band tuning, patented by Magic Dick."

I object both to the silly name and the claim it was patented by Magic Dick.
If proof of use of a tuning means anything at all in deciding who can claim
to have invented it (and has the right to give it a name), then I think I
have a strong case.

I was recording with this tuning way before that obnoxious 1992 patent
(which should never have been granted, for reasons of Prior Art as well as
many others - but that's another story..). It's just a variation on two of
my tunings listed in Pat Missin's Altered States: Power Chromatic (P-Chrom
12.10b) and Regular Breath (3.3c).

Both of these variations have been in my harp case and in regular use since
1978. You can hear some recorded examples from 1983/84 on the custom-made 11
hole diatonics I used at the time here:
http://www.brendan-power.com/Country%20Harmonica.htm

There are photos of those old 11 hole harps, and photos/descriptions of
their other innovative features aside from the size and the tuning
(including the first use of Half-Valving and the first use of Blu-Tac for
re-tuning reeds, plus side cover vents and opened rear coverplates).

I invite you to check out the music clips and photos. They provide
incontrovertible evidence that the whole basis of the Magic Dick/Pierre
Beauregard patent (to claim innovation for a series seven or more
consecutive holes with the draw note higher than the blow) was false. That
was precisely the basis of my Power Regular-Breath tuning and Power
Chromatic Tuning, and both were in use on gigs and recordings throughout the
1980s in New Zealand. Here is a clip from State of the Harp )recorded in
1989, released 1990), clearly in Power Chromatic tuning:

http://www.brendan-power.com/Music%20Clips/State%20of%20the%20Harp/30/SOTH-0
2.mp3

I have plenty of other recorded examples from throughout the 80s with
diatonic and chromatic harps in both tunings and their many variations, with
provable dates. I've continued to use them ever since on most of my albums,
along with other personal Power Tunings. Here are some recent examples of
the Power Chromatic Tuning on 14 hole chroms (exactly the same as in
Daniel's diagram, but starting a hole lower):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-gq3pYlyJY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86En96jyISE

If you've been following, it can be seen that the PowerBender is just a
development of my earlier tuning experiments, with the key elements being
the use of all draw notes higher than blow and, as Daniel said: "....the way
the middle octave is laid out; the reversal in hole 5 so well thought out,
allowing then half steps bends throughout the whole octave and just one
overblow needed on hole 6 for the Ab".

That 'reversal' is right there on the Regular Breath and Power Chromatic
tunings. It's also there on holes 3-6 of the Lee Oskar Melody Maker tuning,
but my 1980s harps pre-date that too. The variations I mostly use on
diatonics and chromatics are the ones with the blow 6th chord and draw Maj
7th, not the main ones listed on Overblow.com or Altered States.
-----------------
Excuse the long post, but I feel passionately about my tunings (I've created
and recorded with about 10 really usable harp tunings (plus variations) for
both diatonic and chromatic). They take a lot of thought to create, and a
long time to master thoroughly, a re-training process I've been through many
times. All that work breeds a pride and proprietary feeling that anyone who
thinks of something first feels, I believe. It's natural and fair to claim
credit where credit is due.

If someone can show that the layout Gary gruesomely calls 'Magic Bop Band'
was used on recordings before I created it, I'll happily defer to the
original inventor. I'd love to hear those recordings, from Magic Dick or
anyone else - it would be interesting and informative.

But if they're not forthcoming, then I think my claim to be the creator is
valid, and my names should be used too: Power Regular-Breath Tuning and
Power Chromatic Tuning. Power Chromatic is usable as a layout on the
diationic too; I have several of my 12 hole Stretch Harps in it. Here's a
clip on one of them using a mix of Power Chromatic and Regular Breath (it
has a Richter bottom end, but Power Chromatic holes 4-12):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5PFtAhsreM

I'm currently writing a book on all my Power Tunings from 1978 to the
present day, including a CD of tracks from my albums showing them off, along
with music and tablature of the melodies, photos of the harps used, tuning
diagrams and other useful information. It should be ready by November.

Brendan Power
WEBSITE: http://www.brendan-power.com
YOUTUBE: http://www.youtube.com/BrendanPowerMusic