Re: [Harp-L] "Oh Girl" position

On Sep 20, 2010, at 10:35 AM, Winslow Yerxa wrote:

Sound like a chromatic to me, too, though it could be a diatonic. Either way it sounds like first position.

I caught the lip-sychned video by chance last night on some oldies program hosted by Aretha Franklin. The guy hold a harmonica kept making these illogical wide moves or a large harmonica.

Yeah Wizard. That was the first thing I noticed. Elizabeth mentioned it could have been a 'Goliath' model, AND from the thinness and length, that is a perfectly good assumption. 'I', myself was thinking Polyphonia. On a subsequent look see, I seem to feel that the width (front to back) is slightly thin for a Poly....But possible. However, even in a big town a Goliath would have been easier to find than a Poly. So Elizabeth, ever the vigilant, has a point.

When I first saw it I thought "Oh, a CBH 2016," which would have been right for the period. But further viewing revealed this not to be the case, and as I noticed the "player" going from one end of the harmonica to the other to play notes that were in the same hole, I realized that, once again, the largest harmonica available for display purposes had been pressed into service as a prop.

That's exactly what I concluded and I wrote Johnnyharp off list because I was afraid that my continued input was belaboring everyone on what may have been perceived as a 'deminimus subject matter'. The player holds the harp in his left but DOESN't cup it. He cradles it and lets his other hand 'push' the harp back and forth. So much so to the extent that the intervals are ridiculous. If I had to give him at least one saving grace, at least he went right for low notes and left for high notes lol.

Here's the deal, as I see it. There is an old axiom in the entertainment world that: 'Everything is fair in show business'. To that end, I firmly believe that since the harmonica figures SO heavily in this tune, the producers made a concerted effort for it to be seen. Now we (as people having what I like to call 'Harmonica Torettes') all know that seeing someone holding AND cupping a chromatic, which is almost mandatory for these sounds, leaves one with a picture of a person with their hands over their face, and not much more. Only players like Stevie Wonder and a few others who hold the harmonica by the very ends as if it's a hot waffle iron, allow one the opportunity to even see it.

As for diatonic, Pshaaaa, a cupped diatonic would have been virtually invisible. Anyone who ever watched my friend Charley McCoy play would have a hard time seeing it and he even SWITCHES harps and hardly anyone notices. So, you and Gary Lehman are right. This long thin silvery covered harp was definitely a prop.

Sorry I bent everyone's ear. smokey-joe

Winslow Yerxa Author, Harmonica For Dummies ISBN 978-0-470-33729-5 Harmonica instructor, The Jazzschool for Music Study and Performance Resident expert, bluesharmonica.com Columnist, harmonicasessions.com