Re: [Harp-L] Band Rehearsals -- What is your formula?

I can maybe see why he is a "former member" of the band.

My band tries to practice once a week, when we don't otherwise have a gig, and as long as we can have critical mass. With 9 of us, it can be tricky working around schedules and getting everybody together.

When we work on "old" songs, or songs that we've been playing, we might just do starts and stops, or iron out transitions. If it's been a while since we've played a song, then we'll run it a couple of times, just to get it back into everybody's head.

When working on new songs, we'll work out a groove and style first, figure out what everybody will be playing and make sure what each is contributing makes sense. Then we'll throw the lyrics in. If it's a new original song, we'll hammer out the lyrics outside of practice.

When we perform, we hardly ever "jam" on anything. We usually decide in practice who is soloing, and which order the solos are in (at least four or five of us can carry a solo at any given time). Solos are almost always one chorus in a song, occasionally two. Some songs I do call out solos on the fly at a gig, but still only one or two choruses, tops for each. I think we have maybe only one song we have extended solos on (La Grange, ZZ Top). The rest are all pretty set.

We also write a setlist a week or so in advance of a gig. Usually, one band member takes the lead in putting together the first draft. Then we'll all email back and forth suggesting changes. This "by-committee" approach can be frustrating at times, but at least everybody who wants to gets a say in what we play. At the gig, unless there are extenuating circumstances, we stick to the playlist.

The important things is that we look like we know what we are doing and not just screwing around on the stage. People have told us that we are very tight, even on nights where I've felt like we were all over the place. I guess that means we must be doing something right.

Seth